Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Hi Rob,

On 10/11/12 6:36 PM, "Rob van Eijk" <rob@blaeu.com> wrote:

>Rachel,
>
>With all respect, the TPWG is working towards affirmative opt-in
>consent for third-party web tracking.

I'm a bit surprised by your assertion. While it may be the law of the land
in the Netherlands, I'm not sure that opt-in for cookies is the law of the
land throughout the rest of Europe - and certainly it is not so in the U.S.

And I absolutely didn't think it was the goal of the TPWG to move towards
affirmative consent for third-party web tracking.

This apparent disconnect in goals seems an excellent argument in favor of
David Wainberg's proposal (ISSUE-45 ACTION-246 Clarified proposal on
compliance statements)

In any event, can you help clarify your statement? Thanks.