Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Mike, your comment here...

"When user consent for tracking becomes the norm – either through the DNT indication or its replacement if this process fails..."

...sounds as though you believe the W3C TPWG is working toward an outcoming in which affirmative opt-in consent is required. In other words, a Do Not Track standard with a "default on." That is not my understanding of what we have been discussing at all.

I also take issue with this statement:

"When consumers see their rights are being properly recognised they will be more prepared to trust online commerce which will result in a larger total market."

Consumer trust has been forged, sustained and strengthened through the provision of notice and opt-out choice for more than 100 years -- across every channel used to communicate with consumers, from mail to email to online marketing. (DMA's Guidelines for Ethical Business Practice have advocated such notice and opt-out choice as the best practice across every marketing channel for more than 40 years.)

The vast growth of the online environment is itself a testament to the fact that notice and opt-out choice are the most appropriate means to ensure consumer trust -- and consumer satisfaction -- in the experiences, products, services and content that they enjoy online. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Very best,
Rachel

Rachel Nyswander Thomas, CIPP
Vice President, Government Affairs