Re: ACTION-267 - Propose first/third party definitions from existing DAA documents

I have to say I am dismayed that colleagues from the US online marketing community are trying to replace the W3C multistakeholder process with a system devised exclusively by the online ad industry.  As I mentioned during last week's f2f, NGOs and other civil society groups across the Atlantic have criticized the DAA system as inadequate.  Leading computer science and other researchers have also repeatedly shown how lacking and ineffective it is.  Indeed, just two weeks ago in DC I asked Ms. Thomas if there had been any testing done for design and usability of the system--including by independent bodies.  The answer was basically there was no such usability and independent review.  As we all know, the user experience online is tested and  "optimized" to move them through a digital data collection funnel-- in order to achieve the required "conversion."  Until such independent testing of the DAA system to show that it can effectively inform and empower online users about their privacy choices-- in the face of a purposefully powerful and designed interactive experience--the W3C would be remiss adopting it in all or in part.

In addition, yesterday's announcement by the DAA that it would, in essence, condone a boycott of DNT requests from users relying on the IE browser (or other browsers adopting privacy by design frameworks), suggests there is a political motivation that should be addressed by the group and W3C (inc. Mr. Berners-Lee).  Instead of developing the best technical standard through expert and objective international standards work, we appear to now confront a political agenda designed to maintain the data collection and user targeting status quo.  The W3C needs to do better than be silent about these recent developments.

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 550
Washington, DC 20009