Re: ISSUE-45 ACTION-246 Clarified proposal on compliance statements

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM, David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org
> wrote:

>  Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for the questions.
>
> On 10/9/12 10:01 AM, Ed Felten wrote:
>

>  First, why include only one compliance token?   If there are multiple
> compliance regimes, a company might be following any subset of them.   Why
> not allow a server to provide multiple compliance tokens?
>
>  I suppose it could be allowed, though I'm not sure of the utility. Is
> there a use case you had in mind?
>
>  A company that collected only minimal information would presumably be in
compliance with all, or almost all, of the compliance regimes in existence.
 If I were that company, I wouldn't want to miss out on the benefits of
claiming any compliance regime that a particular user or browser might be
looking for.

In general, there would a number of regimes, and a server might be in
compliance with various subsets of them.  Again, servers won't want to miss
out on the benefits of claiming any compliance regime that a particular
user or browser might be looking for.

>  Second, do you envision some body that decides which compliance tokens
> are valid?   If so, who might that be?   If not, how do you prevent people
> from making up their own new compliance tokens?
>
> I would expect it to be unusual to do this, and it might be a
> self-correcting problem in the small number of cases. Given that the tokens
> companies use will be transparent, advocates and regulators will be able to
> investigate non-standard tokens. A non-standard token will be a red flag
> that says, "hey, we're doing something unusual."
>
> If there is no body or procedure deciding which tokens are allowed, then
there cannot be "non-standard" tokens.  There can only be unusual tokens.
 I still don't see what would stop a company, or small group of companies,
from just creating their own compliance rules and sending the resulting
token.  Either there is somebody or something deciding which tokens are
valid; or all tokens are valid.