Re: Poll text call: final text by 28 September

Hi Justin & Ian,

On Oct 1, 2012, at 6:48 AM, Justin Brookman <justin@cdt.org> wrote:

> Setting aside the question of what the time period should be . . .
>
> Nick, my edit was suggested in part to address the aggregate reporting issue given that it seems like there is momentum toward removing it as a dedicated permitted use.  There is a separate debate about what constitutes unlinking after 6 weeks, but my language would allow the use of log data to generate aggregate reports without unlinking during the initial 6 weeks after collection.

I had intended "During this time, operators may render data unlinkable" to cover those examples -- I understood generating aggregate reports as a common way to render data unlinkable (but still potentially very valuable). I'm not sure if the language read this way, but I didn't intend to indicate that data would have to be rendered unlinkable without processing it in some way, or that data would have to be rendered unlinkable before the end of the short term period.

On Sep 30, 2012, at 6:06 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette@google.com> wrote:
> If you restrict uses to a given set in the 6 week period, then presumably you need to be able to prove data was only used during that period for those purposes. You then need all the same systems in place from time zero, so it's not clear this buys you anything at all. Changing it around to be a blacklist model during this period (you cannot do X) makes it much easier to show compliance.

I had thought the original intent here was to provide a grace period during which limits on retention would not imply. The existing permitted uses text requires that organizations not retain data not necessary for a permitted use -- this section allows short-term retention of data that would otherwise have to be deleted or rendered unlinkable immediately. I believe that buys organizations quite a lot -- you can do your minimization or data aggregation steps later, rather than in real-time. In showing compliance with restrictions on retention, a grace period for retention makes it much easier to comply and to show compliance.

In either case (limited to the permitted uses, or limited by a this-section-only-blacklist) organizations would have to prove to an auditor that they were not doing X, for some value of X. It might be that there are lots of activities that don't involve sharing data or targeting a user that you'd like organizations to be able to engage in for a shorter time period. There may be support within the group for that kind of permitted use -- a "do whatever you want with short-term data (but don't share/target with it)" as opposed to a "you have a grace period to minimize and aggregate data". As Shane points out, your proposal does switch us to providing a blacklist of uses inside of a whitelist of uses, and requires us to debate multiple such lists.

Thanks,
Nick