RE: action-334, issue-112, a summary on sub-domains for exceptions

From: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:13:15 -0000
To: <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: <public-tracking@w3.org>, "Nicholas Doty" <npdoty@w3.org>
Hi Shane,

Allowing wildcards in the TLD suffix is not a good idea. There are many
domains where sites run by completely different entities only differ by the
TLD. Only subdomains can be guaranteed to be operated by entities who are
the main domain owner,  or have a contractual relationship with them.

A list of domains in the tracking resource, like same-party (or another name
if we don't want to overload the meaning),  could handle this use case, and
could apply to any domain (like yahoo-inc.com). It could also work for
web-wide exceptions.

If we wanted to handle cases where there was no tracking resource URI, or
where the same-party list needed to be dynamically calculated, we could have
a new optional parameter to the API that references an object with
attributes mirroring the relevant elements in the tracking resource.

Mike