Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

From: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 12:57:05 -0500
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
CC: public-tracking@w3.org, Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net>, Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>

On 11/21/12 5:43 PM, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> We
> can't have two definitions of consent (one to enable DNT and one to
> grant an exception). So it always cuts two ways.

What is reasonable and good for users and the internet varies depending
on the context. Consent within the UA and consent for a server are very
different circumstances. We do not need to try to have parity between
the two. Moreover, the issue is not one of definitions of consent, but
rather context-specific guidelines for ensuring users' consent is
deliberate and /informed.

/