Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

On Nov 18, 2012, at 10:03 , Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com> wrote:

> I agree -- specifying exact wording isn't a great idea - but that's not
> what I'm suggesting.
>
> Setting the expectation that UA's communicate DNT functionality clearly
> and completely addresses the very real possibility that some UA's will
> characterize DNT functionality in a way that is a) unclear, b) filled with
> hyperbole, or those that c) enact DNT without even telling Users.
>
> While I think that public, marketplace and regulatory pressure might
> address c), I tend to doubt that they will address a) and b).
>
> I'm a bit surprised that this is so controversial. After all, the goal
> here is to provide consumer's with informed choice, correct?

Alan

I take it, following this thread, that you OK with even stronger language for sites, when they are getting consent for an exception?  Sites have every incentive to get users to agree, and it's easy to call the API to log the exception with the UA.  In contrast, the browsers cannot 'hide' whatever their options are, and have little direct incentive to mislead anyone.

>>> and all sites will, of course, be mandated to do the same or better for
>>> exception requests?
>>
>> <joke>
>> YES! All sides MUST implement P3P to fulfill DNT! After 10 years, the
>> magic
>> bullet to get ubiquituous P3P adoption.
>> </joke>
>>
>> I thought we have always worked under the assumption that we do not
>> proscribe
>> UA GUI. Because my experience is that we can write whatever we want into
>> Specification, but UAs won' t necessarily honor that. UI is where
>> browsers
>> compete. While some simple, well-tested proscribed text would probably
>> create
>> some kind of a circuit where users better understand and adapt their
>> expectations, I don't see momentum.
>>
>> I rather think that it creates an eco-system where browser that promise
>> too
>> much can be punished by users who are deceived and by sites responding
>> that
>> they won't honor. And we'll see waves into one or the other direction
>> before
>> it stabilizes.
>>
>> Rigo

David Singer