Re: ACTION-286: Propose DAA text regarding de-identification (for unlinkability discussion)

From: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:35:44 -0500
To: Lauren Gelman <gelman@blurryedge.com>
CC: Ed Felten <ed@felten.com>, Rachel Thomas <RThomas@the-dma.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>, Louis Mastria <lou@aboutads.info>, "Chris Mejia (chris.mejia@iab.net)" <chris.mejia@iab.net>, Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>, "mgroman@networkadvertising.org" <mgroman@networkadvertising.org>, "Brendan Riordan-Butterworth (Brendan@iab.net)" <Brendan@iab.net>

On 11/15/12 11:35 AM, Lauren Gelman wrote:

> So Jonathan's definition is cleaner because it gives industry a bright
> line definition of how to comply-- which I know my clients prefer.
>  But my sense is that both accomplish the same thing.

I disagree that it's cleaner. But that aside, my question to proponents
of Jonathan's definition is whether you believe the efforts required to
unlink data, and the subsequent loss of value of the data, should be
proportionate to the risks associated with the data. If so, what's your
measure of the proportionality?