proposal ISSUE-188 ("unlinkable"): 3.6.2 - "1024-unlinkable"

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:32:27 +0100
To: "public-tracking@w3.org Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>
The current editor's draft includes an option for the definition of unlinkable data in section 3.6.2.  That text is:

> 3.6.2 Option 2: Unlinkable Data
>
> A dataset is unlinkable when there is a high probability that it contains only information that could not be linked to a particular user, user agents, or device by a skilled analyst. A party renders a dataset unlinkable when either:
> 1. it publicly publishes information that is sufficiently detailed for a skilled analyst to evaluate the implementation, or
> 2. ensure that the dataset is at least 1024-unlinkable.

(I believe this to be based on contributions from Jonathan, Tom, Peter, and others.  If somebody wishes to link this note back to the original proposal, that's welcome -- but optional.  The purpose of this message is to make sure that we have an easily-retrieved record of all options before the group.)

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C <tlr@w3.org> (@roessler)