ACTION-326 and ACTION-327 BLOCKED on ISSUE-5

From: Brendan Riordan-Butterworth <Brendan@iab.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:06:08 +0000
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Good afternoon,

  The question of whether to include marketing and advertising as a permitted uses remains open and relevant - and cannot be determined or closed - until such time as a definition of "tracking" is worked out by consensus within the working group. The definition of "tracking" adopted by working group consensus will determine, in part, whether an additional exception / permitted use for marketing or advertising is necessary and appropriate in the specification.

  Given that the specific definition of "tracking" is not yet resolved, nor are associated issues like ISSUE-16 "What does it mean to collect data?", and more generally in ISSUE-136 "Resolve dependencies of the TPE on compliance specification", creating text describing what aspects of marketing and advertising would need to be allowable is premature.

   I am as frustrated by this as the rest of you, but do feel hopeful that by getting the fundamentals nailed down we'll end up with a robust and meaningful document.

/brendan.

Brendan Riordan-Butterworth
Director, Technical Standards
Interactive Advertising Bureau