Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

From: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:46:14 -0500
To: Justin Brookman <justin@cdt.org>
CC: public-tracking@w3.org
Hi Justin,

On 11/13/12 2:06 PM, Justin Brookman wrote:
> but requiring disclosure about an unproven parade of horribles in
> advance is not something that a technical standards setting body
> should be contemplating.
I believe we've already agreed that the DNT signal should reflect the
user's explicit and informed consent. Doesn't the informed piece of that
equation require explanation of the effects of DNT? But I can see that
if you do not believe that provisions in this spec will have negative
effects for the internet and internet users, then you wouldn't see the
need for informing users of such negative effects. So, what do we need
to do to convince you? Once we're on common ground about that, then
maybe we can have a more productive conversation about how best to
inform users.

-David