From: Rob Sherman
Sent: 11/11/2012 7:00 PM
To: Aleecia M. McDonald; public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org) (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Proposals for Compliance issue clean up

Aleecia,

I think it is premature to finalize a definition of "declared data" before
we have consensus on whether and how the concept is relevant.
Particularly, I'm not aware of any existing text in the Editors' Draft
that uses the term "declared data," and it seems that the question whether
a particular proposed definition of that term makes sense depends a lot on
how the term is going to be used.

On the substance of Shane's proposal, though, I'd suggest that it be
modified along the lines of my correspondence with Shane
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Oct/0310.html) to
make clear that there are situations in which information is "declared
data" even if it is not "directly and expressly supplied by a user to a
party."  As described in the thread, Shane and I agreed that this concept
includes a situation in which the user authorizes sharing of information
but does not "directly and expressly suppl[y]" it.  (For example, we
agreed that if you specifically authorize an app to publish information
about actions you take within the app to your Facebook timeline (or
specifically authorize Facebook to receive that information), that
information would be deemed "declared data" as to Facebook even though it
is not provided "directly" by the user to Facebook.)

(I'm happy to work with Shane to modify his proposal to address this
concern.  Even with those modifications, before we finalize this
definition I think it's important for us to understand how, if at all, it
will fit into the draft.)

Thanks.

Rob

Rob Sherman
Facebook | Manager, Privacy and Public Policy
1155 F Street, NW Suite 475 | Washington, DC 20004
office 202.370.5147 | mobile 202.257.3901