Re: ISSUE-187 - some thoughts on using javascript

Shane beat me to it. But I'll add a couple of thoughts.

First, I'll note that the authors, strangely, focused on the 2000 NAI
Code, which has since been superseded by an updated Code and associated
policy. The current NAI Code is well-known in privacy circles and easily
accessible on the NAI website. We do not know why the authors ignored it.

But that aside, even taking the survey at face value, note that, unlike
TPWG's draft spec, the survey makes no distinction between 1st and 3rd
parties. In the survey, the option chosen by the majority of respondents
was, "Prevent websites from collecting information...." Because it uses
the broad term, "websites," it's not in alignment with the spec we're
developing. Our spec applies only to 3rd parties. It's fair to say users
won't understand that distinction, and based on the language they were
presented, would reasonably expect DNT to include the website they are
visiting.

And who knows what "information" users had in mind when they said they
wanted to prevent it from being collected. What was the concern they had
in mind? DId the question elicit fears of identity theft or of
government misuse or what? There are myriad privacy fears, real and
imagined, that respondents may have had in mind. There's no way to know
whether DNT would actually address those fears.

Even if you do find the survey credible, it's not useful as support for
the direction the TPWG has taken, and in fact what you should probably
conclude from the survey is that the TPWG may have it quite wrong.

-David