Re: ISSUE-28: MRC presentation

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:16:06 +0100
To: Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>
Cc: Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com>, "Dobbs, Brooks" <Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>, Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net>, Ed Felten <ed@felten.com>
All,

why do you do that to me only on Fridays when I'm traveling? Jeff, I
suggested to invite someone from MRC to answer the questions Chris
and Brooks weren't able to answer. This is for our information to
find out whether we really need the data collection.

This is done because the experts here will have a better
understanding of what MRC does and what that means for us.

Ed had already very pertinent questions:
 - is it mandatory to collect data
 - how do they handle people opting out

I saw other nice questions on the mailing-list.
 - the EU folks do not need personal data for outreach. Does the MRC
need personal data, how much and for how long?

This was linked to Amy's proposal on overruling legal regimes that
created the big discussion. It is one of the use cases we haven't
resolved and want to resolve. It is affecting many things like
permitted uses and the collection limitation principle and thus also
affects the EU plans.

So the more we know about this use case, the better we can assess
how we can address it. And Jeff, I don't think it will be sufficient
for industry to just say: "This is the way it is and we will collect
data happy ever after". I don't think having someone present and
being able to ask questions is already drawing conclusions.

Rigo