From: Lee Tien [mailto:tien@eff.org]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 6:42 PM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action-157: Update logged-in consent proposal

My two cents.

I'm less convinced than others about obviousness via context.  We're only talking about users who send DNT:1, correct?  To me, that makes DNT:1 part of the context, and thus a strong default that requires a clear reversal.

So I'd want in every case during signup flow a clear statement like:

"Even though I set DNT to prevent tracking, I allow Example Social to treat me as a person who did not set DNT to prevent tracking, which means that Example Social will identify me on other websites in order to [personalize social content, etc.] while I am logged in."

And that the user must choose "yes" or "no" to move on.

My example wording is probably crap, but my point is that the user is entitled to a clear presentation of the fact that signing up would override her DNT setting at the time that choice is being made.  It might even be the best protection for Example Social to be clear in this way.

Lee