Re: Proportionate Response for Fraud Prevention and Security (ISSUE-24)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:48:39 -0700
To: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>

On Mar 15, 2012, at 15:55 , Haakon Bratsberg wrote:

>> In short, we have neither the time, nor the expertise, nor the authority to
>> address this problem in general, other than to say that:
>> there exists an exemption for fraud control and data collection/retention/use
>> under that exemption must be limited to what is necessary for that fraud control.
>
> Couldn't agree more.

I tend to agree as well;  but I would put this under a blanket requirement that *any* use of the data collected under any exception, for a purpose other than that allowed by the exception, is non-compliant.  (Including being lax about your security such that the data leaks and is abused, for example).

David Singer