From:  Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
Date:  Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:46:24 -0700
To:  Geoff Gieron - AdTruth <ggieron@adtruth.com>
Cc:  JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>, Jeffrey Chester
<jeff@democraticmedia.org>, "Amy Colando (LCA)" <acolando@microsoft.com>,
Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>, Sean Harvey
<sharvey@google.com>, Tracking Protection Working Group WG
<public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: Parties and First Party vs. Third Party (ISSUE-10)

Under a branding approach, YouTube and Google would belong in different
parties since they don't share branding.  Under a consumer expectations
approach, they would likely belong to the same party since many consumers
understand that YouTube is owned by Google.

This suggests to me another possible direction: a union of branding and user
expectations.  Branding would become, in essence, a concrete safe harbor for
satisfying the user expectations standard.