Re: Documentation of the updated decision process of the DNT WG

Hi John,

I'll note that the W3C process (3.2) states agendas for W3C WG face to face
meetings shall be posted two weeks prior to the meeting, and that this was
not in the agenda, and is a rather clear departure from what was in the
agenda.

As Matthias' presentation was not scribed in a detailed fashion, it is hard
for me to know what Sean said was "fair". Specifically, the presentation
linked to in the minutes (
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/brussels/W3C-DNT-ProcessRefinement-v03.pdf)
describes a "text-centric process" "if it is not written as text it does
not exist" but does not make it clear that substantive issues will be
closed. Substantive issues can be raised against text (there is text,
therefore the issue exists) without having a clear proposal for alternate
text -- a proposal could be "this part of the spec is unworkable and should
be removed."

Also, "... I feel we have agreement and we're now allowed to get on your
nerves a bit more" is not a good recording of consensus. We have a format
for that "RESOLUTION: something concrete". This was neither documented as a
resolution, nor was it made explicit what actions arise from such
resolution.

Furthermore, I don't believe a group can (even by consensus) just resolve
to change something fundamental to its charter and W3C process.

For what it's worth, the minutes note HTML5 as an example. The similar
process referenced in HTML5 has been highly contentious within the W3C, and
is largely necessary only because the W3C HTML working group is in a rather
dysfunctional state trying to reconcile a political reality where a large
amount of work (and/or perceived work) is still to this day happening in a
group outside of W3C (WHATWG). It's not a very solid example to lean on.

-Ian