Re: Action 93: Explaining reasoning for requesting a site-specific exemption

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:32:50 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Matthias Schunter <mts@zurich.ibm.com>
On Monday 05 March 2012 14:24:59 Matthias Schunter wrote:
> I agree with the principles put forward by Jeff that sites that want
> to obtain an exemption should explain 'for what', 'why', ...

I think this is an unnecessary complication and we should trust in the
selective powers of Darwin here. As a consequence I'm more leaning towards the
definition from Alan Chapell. We should not proscribe too many things, because
otherwise, you would require a full P3P document to be sent over with your
request.

Suggestion (but I'm fine with Alan's too):

If information is given, this information MUST be accurate. Services MAY
indicate what information they collect for what purpose. To obtain consent by
this mechanism, services MUST provide enough information to allow the user to
make an informed choice.