Re: [ISSUE-5] What is the definition of tracking?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:11:23 -0800
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Lee Tien <tien@eff.org>
On Mar 6, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Lee Tien wrote:

> Roy,
>
> I share John's views as well, both on the definition and the need (or lack of need) for some definitions.
>
> I had a different clarifying question:  I'm not sure what the definition means for geo-location.

It depends on what you mean by geo-location.  If it is being
used as a means of following the device from one visit or
site to the next visit or site, then yes it is included as
tracking.  If it is just being used for contextual advertising,
as in personalization of a site for the current visit based
on the data sent by the client, and that data is *not* retained
for future use, then that would not be tracking.

....Roy