Re: Third parties should not pretend to be first parties

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:29:05 -0800
Cc: Tom Lowenthal <tom@mozilla.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
On Feb 29, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Jonathan Mayer wrote:

> The provisions on outsourcing are not "overly simplistic" in the slightest.  The group worked through them at Santa Clara, on the list, and on multiple calls.  We've talking through myriad hypotheticals, including service providers like a cloud computing platform.
>
> Unless you have a new use case, I think this is all long since closed.

Those sections are marked as PENDING REVIEW in the document, and the
particular issue we are talking about now (ISSUE-123) is still OPEN.

Since neither of you are on the hook to implement this, I suggest
you pay attention to my concerns: I object to this wording if it
includes third parties acting as a first party.  A third-party acting
as a first-party may present itself as the first-party because it is
already constrained by the section defining "acting as a first-party".

....Roy