Re: Third parties should not pretend to be first parties

Roy,

In the text I've seen, when a first party outsources to a third party, it remains a third party.

That's not a linguistic quibble.  First, outsourcing allows a third party to act like a first party in many ways, but it must respect significant siloing constraints.  Second, as far as user perceptions go, I don't think it's right to think of an outsourcing service as "the same party."  Third, for the sake of analytical clarity, it's best to avoid conflating what we allow outsourcing services to do and what we allow first parties to do.  Maybe those two will be coextensive—but we should be very explicit about it.

Jonathan