Re: definitions

Hi Rigo

You wrote...

> From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:25:34 +0200
> To: public-tracking@w3.org
> Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
>
> We need the definition of consent
>
> (rw) the user's consent to be tracked is expressed by sending the
> DNT:0 token as defined in section 4 of the Tracking Preference
> Expression Specification and as confirmed by the responding service.
> The DNT tokens express specific and informed indication of the
> users' wishes as defined by the Tracking Compliance and Scope
> Specification which they signify their agreement to personal data
> relating to him being processed for tracking as defined herein.
>
> Rigo

Totally agree that this needs to be in the spec... and I 'get the gist' of your
suggested text... but you are having a bit of a problem with the 'King's English'
here with regards to singularity and plurality.

If you want the text to refer to 'user' ( singlular ) then I think it needs to read like this...

> (rw) A user's consent to be tracked is expressed by sending the
> DNT:0 token as defined in section 4 of the Tracking Preference
> Expression Specification and as confirmed by the responding service.
> The DNT tokens express specific and informed indication of a
> user's wishes as defined by the Tracking Compliance and Scope
> Specification, in which the user signifies agreement to personal data
> relating to him/her being processed for tracking.

If you want the text to refer to 'users' (plural) then I think it needs to read like this...

> (rw) Users consent to be tracked by sending the DNT:0 token as defined in
> section 4 of the Tracking Preference Expression Specification and as confirmed
> by the responding service. The DNT tokens express specific and informed indication
> of users' wishes as defined by the Tracking Compliance and Scope Specification,
> in which they signify their agreement to personal data relating to them being
> processed for tracking.

Regards
Kevin