Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults, and a plea to 'stay the course'

Hi there,

On 6/17/2012 1:29 PM, Matthias Schunter wrote:

> Consequences are that general-purpose tools must not ship with DNT on
> unless the act of their installation corresponds to an expression of
> preferences.
>

> I also agree that we should not over-react since I expect that some
> user agents as well as some sites will initially not meet our
> requirements. Clarifying our intentions (and the texts) should at some
> point make all sites and user agents compliant (;-)

I'm not sure why you would assume this. Putting not-to-be-named objects
of current controversy aside, there are likely to be dozens of plugins
and mobile-based browsers, etc., that adjust DNT to 1. The spec you are
currently setting up leaves it to server discretion to second guess any
of these based on completely subjective factors.