Re: Towards a Grand Compromise

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:46:01 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com>, Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
On Monday 18 June 2012 08:28:58 Alan Chapell wrote:
> How would you suggest we define define personally identifiable?

Whereas 26 of Directive 95/46EC is pretty established as a
definition and working pretty well.
http://eur-
lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31995L0046:EN:HTML

The only serious hickup is to accept or not accept whether IP
addresses are personally identifiable. But we can write our
assumption about IP addresses into the Specification and
allow/disallow without deciding whether IP addresses are personally
identifiable (in fact some are and some are not). As one has to
process IP addresses on the Internet anyway, all IP address
discussion will result in a discussion on retention times. We have
that anyway.

Rigo