Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

From: Matthias Schunter <mts-std@schunter.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:24:07 +0200
To: ifette@google.com
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi Ian/Jonathan,

this may be a misunderstanding. I interpret Ian's (short) sentence the
following way

a) A site can choose whether to implement compliance with the DNT spec
or not
    [However, if I understand the US legal system correctly, it must not
wrongly
      claim to have implemented the specs while doing something else]
b) We agreed that a standards-compliant site is free how to service
DNT;1 customers as long as they satisfy the
   requirements in our specs. As a consequence,
    a site may comply by sending all DNT;1 users to a landing page that
requires to grant an exception.
    Whom to send to such landing pages and for what reasons is up to the
site to decide.
    [However, our current approach mandates that this landing page
complies with our spec]

Jonathan/Ian: Do you agree that my words reflect our current agreements?
Feel free to comment.

Regards,
matthias