Re: Examples of successful opt-in implementations

Bjoern, I agree that they are very easy to handle: you have just to double click: one click to activate and a second to share.

But with ads that wouldn't work well. Same with analytics etc. And not sure it's a sort of opt-in that really provides you with an informed choice either. Not much explanation given. So users might perceive it a non-user-friendly and wonder why they have to activate it first.

Kimon

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net<mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net>>
Date: Thursday 14 June 2012 22:29
To: "ifette@google.com<mailto:ifette@google.com>" <ifette@google.com<mailto:ifette@google.com>>
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org> Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Examples of successful opt-in implementations

* Ian Fette wrote:
So, I'd like to re-raise my question of whether anyone has actually
successfully managed to deploy an opt-in compliant website in the wild...

I do not know about entire websites, but as far as general opt-in
schemes go, variants of http://www.heise.de/extras/socialshareprivacy/
are widely used on commercial german-language websites. They require
you to "activate" "social media services" before resources for them
are loaded from third party servers. http://heise.de/-1612977 would be
an example use (below "Permalink"). They are not meant to affect any
ads or analytics or other services, but are certainly "successful".