Re: ACTION-211 Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

I've seen Microsofts implementation. I downloaded the free version of
Windows 8, installed it and then ran I.E. 10 - the default is turned on.
The real problem I found was where to disable it? It was hidden (in plain
sight) in the advanced tab. The bigger issue for me was that I had to
reboot the OS to get the setting to change.

Your logic below

MSIE: DNT-1 (set by default)
Server: Neg ACK (I have taken a look at MSIE's implementation of the
standard and I do not deem this DNT-1 to be a valid expression of user
choice).
MSIE: prompts the user (through an in-browser dashboard it has
developed): this server has failed to acknowledge your DNT-1. Please
select one of the following a.) I don't want to be tracked by this
server; b.) I do want to be tracked by this server; c.) I'm generally ok
with being tracked, please stop bothering me.
User: I pick 'a.) I don't want to be tracked by this server'
MSIE: DNT-1 (again)
Server: ????

Is correct. The problem you have is that each time a user changes his/her
settings you have to run through the whole logic again. Which means in
essence you have to track the user to know when they changed the setting
last.

The issue you do have in your logic is item C) I'm generally OK with being
tracked, please stop bothering me. I think it's redundant because the
tracking choice is binary (1,0). However this is where the Null value
comes in - so C could be c) I don't have a preference - but this then
introduces another point of confusion. It means one thing in Europe (do
not track) and another thing in the US (tracking allowed). So now you have
to determine the users location before setting a cookie to meet the
preference.

Again - all easy to do (except on Mobile) but it requires more programming
logic on the server, which increases cost and the chance for bugs.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
720.663.1752