Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Not really strange at all. Microsoft just figure out one of the flaws in the
DNT protocol design.

Try this on for size.
* I download Firefox ¡© the first thing I do is set the DNT flag to 1 BEFORE
I surf the Web
* I download Firefox ¡© the first thing I do is install the Abine plugin ¡© it
sets the DNT flag to on by DEFAULT
* I download MSIE 10 ¡© the flag is set by DEFAULT
* I use a Proxy server that ADDs a DNT header to all outgoing HTTP Requests
How do you, either via the protocol or via the server, determine WHO set the
flag in each of the cases above?

I've already had the debate with Ian that blacklists etc are not going to
fly. Rigo is already looking for ways around browser sniffing ¡© and yet here
we all collectively sit and the ONLY way you know that the DNT flag was set
to 1 by default is because Microsoft made a Press release.

You can have the debate all day long but until you can determine WHO set the
header via the protocol there is no reasonable excuse to single out
Microsoft for breaking the spirit of the Do Not Track standard ¡© simply
because there is NO alternative either for them or anyone else who sets the
flag to ON before sending a request.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
720.663.1752