Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:46:13 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org, Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca>
Roy,

why should I go to a web-form to opt-out if it is sufficient to
instruct my user agent to send a DNT:1 signal? Or am I missing
something? What is the relation between pointing people to an opt-
out web-form and sending DNT:1. Are you suggesting we have two
parallel opt-out mechanisms defined in the TPE? There may exist opt-
out or opt-in or opt-over web-forms of all kinds and links to those
web-forms from all kinds of pages and tools. But I thought we try to
do without this level of indirection here.

Rigo