RE: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

From: Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:25:32 -0700
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: "<public-tracking@w3.org> (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
> If you chose to not honor a valid DNT request, that's an issue that goes beyond what W3C can define as sanctions

Our currently defined protocol does provide a way to indicate who set the value - the presence of a DNT:1 was intended to communicate the user's intent.  If DNT:1 is set by default, there is no way to communicate to the server the user's intent.  Therefore, it is impossible for that a UA which sends DNT:1 by default to send a valid DNT request since they cannot in any way express the user's intent.