Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Finally, the US folks see some decent EU fight! :)

let me add to it that W3C is not the body where law is made and
compliance to law is determined. We only define the conduits of the
Web. We are the plumbers. If the regulator says you need a conduit
here, we may want to provide that conduit.

The approach here is rather to create a line where one can escape
the troubles of running on the edge of law by having some practice
in some specific area that is acceptable to all. DNT is only a tiny
aspect in the overall EU regulatory debate.

Now saying that we really want to run close to the 27 edges that may
be in Europe is different than trying to come closer to what the 27
DPAs have stated positively as acceptable to them. While I
understand that it is the IAB Europe's job to challenge every single
of the 27 transpositions to the edge, taking the requirement that we
run on 27 edges is asking for too much IMHO, so we have to look for
common grounds to achieve the single market (hey, that's the
ultimate keyword for the EU).

Remember, we want to create a useful tool that works across those 27
systems. And because of the diversity, the regulation is under way.
And the EU regulation will be uniform law in all 27 member states.
So while you may be right Kimon, is it really helpful to hide behind
the current regulatory chaos and neglect the upcoming common basis
and create a useful tool?

Rigo