Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Hi Tamir -

I think that's a laudable goal. However, the standard should not be looking
to address every possible regulatory issue at the expense of the core
mission of the group ­ which is to help define mechanisms for expressing
user preferences around Web tracking (as defined). That core mission may fit
really well into certain legal frameworks - and fit less well in other
frameworks. The uncertainty in certain jurisdictions makes this a difficult
proposition to say the least. I've heard respected EU privacy experts state
that ­ of the member states that have taken a public position on Section
5(3) of ePrivacy ­ half appear to be opt-in and half appear to be opt­out
for most cookies.  And the UK has arguably changed its stance on the cookie
issue several times since our group began its work ­ and for a time had one
branch of government saying something vastly different from another branch.

I recognize that some in the group may be more optimistic regarding the time
it would take to harmonize this standard across multiple jurisdictions. If
that's the consensus of the group, so be it. If so, we may want to more
clearly state this in the group's charter.

Cheers,

Alan Chapell
Chapell & Associates
917 318 8440