Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

On Jun 8, 2012, at 19:03 , Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:

> The point of DNT is to allow a user to express a preference on tracking. The point of DNT is not to solve the EU regulatory debacle, or any other country-specific regulations. If it can be useful in that manner, then great, but I continue to question whether we should allow this working group to get continually railroaded into trying to solve country-specific regulatory problems.

Your language is rather strong, I think.  We long ago agreed to be informed by various practices, legislation, consultative documents, and so on, and therefore discussing them and their relevance, and whether we can match what they want -- no matter what their source -- is perfectly fair discussion. Writing a specification in ignorance of legislation would be foolish, when we have the opportunity to learn something.

David Singer