Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Some background on Canadian privacy law may be helpful.  The comprehensive federal privacy statute (PIPEDA) does allow for opt-out choice mechanisms in some cases.  But an opt-out mechanism is only compliant if it meets thresholds for transparency, ease of use, and other requirements.

At the W3C workshop in Princeton, a representative of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner voiced that the current self-regulatory opt outs fall short.  The OPC issued a new position paper this past week; it does not directly address the legality of current practices (owing to a prudential limit on advisory opinions), but in a plain reading the NAI/DAA/IAB Canada programs are quite deficient.

In sum: online advertising companies may currently operate in violation of Canadian law.  Do Not Track could bring them into compliance—but it certainly won't if companies ignore the most popular browser's implementation.

Jonathan