Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Tamir and others,

I don't think the point is to say "a server merely notifies the user they
will ignore their DNT-1 signal, that this is sufficient to gain user
consent for server tracking.".

Many jurisdictions don't require explicit opt-in consent for "server
tracking". Take the US for example. In this case, as long as we're not
promising something that we fail to deliver, there is no problem here.

I think you are getting hung up on the case where, in some countries
depending on what finalized legislation comes out, there might be a
requirement to obtain explicit opt-in consent. I agree with you that the
mere act of rejecting the user's DNT:1 signal is not explicit opt-in
consent in that context, and the website would probably have to take
further steps to obtain that explicit opt-in consent. But that does not
need to be the problem of this working group or specification.

The point of DNT is to allow a user to express a preference on tracking.
The point of DNT is not to solve the EU regulatory debacle, or any other
country-specific regulations. If it can be useful in that manner, then
great, but I continue to question whether we should allow this working
group to get continually railroaded into trying to solve country-specific
regulatory problems.

-Ian