Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Ian,

I'm gravely disappointed to hear you expressing the view, one year into this process, that third-party websites might just unilaterally renegotiate the W3C's Do Not Track standard post-ratification.  That cuts against the cooperative spirit of these productive discussions, and I trust it is not Google's position.

At any rate, I believe your view is misguided.  Third-party websites are, to be sure, under no binding obligation to comply with the W3C's Do Not Track standard.  But there are myriad reasons for companies to comply with the W3C specification, including growing pressures from users, policymakers, and the media.  Moreover, if a company claims to support Do Not Track and it doesn't, it'll have to deal with the Federal Trade Commission and other law enforcement agencies.  I should hope Google in particular appreciates the ramifications of incorrectly claiming to comply with a browser's default privacy setting.  It's no coincidence that industry participants in the working group have a strong preference to develop consensus on this issue.

Jonathan