Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults

From: Peter Cranstone <peter.cranstone@3pmobile.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 01:14:48 +0000
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
I have a question. If the browser supports the protocol does it send a
header for ³unset²?

If no header is sent then what¹s the difference between a browser that
does not support the protocol and one that does, but is set to ³unset"

And then what happens if the browser is used in the EU where you have to
opt-in? If the user has downloaded a browser that supports the protocol
(which means the default is set to unset) which means in the EU you should
not track vs. the US where it means tracking is allowed.

This all should work on a mobile browser however if I have to determine
location for regional privacy laws and have a browser set to ³unset² how
do I know what to do? (IP address lookup on mobile is not reliable.

Peter