RE: tracking-ISSUE-150: DNT conflicts from multiple user agents [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

UA = User Agent

For example, if the final Tracking Preference Standard requires that users explicitly set their own preference in the UA, then a simple UA list can be developed for non-compliant UAs.  When a publisher receives a DNT header request from a non-compliant UA, the Well Known URI/Response Header can let the user know that their preference will not be honored from this UA and can direct them to compliant UAs they can use where their preferences will be honored.

- Shane

From: John Simpson [mailto:john@consumerwatchdog.org]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 2:27 PM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: David Singer; Kevin Smith; ifette@google.com; Lauren Gelman; Justin Brookman; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: tracking-ISSUE-150: DNT conflicts from multiple user agents [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

How would you "know" a US is noncompliant?

On Jun 1, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Shane Wiley wrote:

David,

I disagree.  If you know that an UA is non-compliant, it should be fair to NOT honor the DNT signal from that non-compliant UA and message this back to the user in the well-known URI or Response Header.  Further, we can provide information for the user to use a UA that is DNT compliant if they wish for their preference to be honored in that regard.

- Shane