Re: ISSUE-16, ACTION-166: define (data) collection

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:20:31 -0700
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
To: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>

On Jun 1, 2012, at 14:14 , Shane Wiley wrote:

> David,
>
> I believe you've hit on a key issue "existence vs. use".  While this is debated, many on the industry side believe it's more appropriate to focus on use than on mere existence.  In my opinion this is a key divide in the debate for Permitted Uses vs. Unlinkability.

OK, interesting.  Is this what is behind the "do not create records about me" vs. "do not target me in ads"? It's hard to see what the *privacy* impact of being shown an ad for a dishwasher vs. a hang-glider is (assuming one is relevant to me and the other not), whereas there is a privacy impact in someone having detailed records of my behavior, vs. them not having it.

Is this the debate to which you refer?

David Singer