Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults

Jeff,

We should be clear that taking first parties off the table is not a
compromise. You and your colleagues have been clear that the rationale
for this choice is that it is because users have direct relationships
with first parties, and expect them to be collecting data. Furthermore,
I'd argue that the collateral effects of aiming DNT exclusively at 3rd
parties will be market consolidation, with a smaller number of parties
collecting way more data, with incentives to tie it to PII. Therefore,
not a net privacy benefit to users. I still can't understand why you
would choose that result. In any case, advocates' decision to take 1st
parties off the table was a philosophical/strategic one, not a
concession, and is of no benefit to the large number of 3rd parties who
will be severely impacted by DNT.

Also, let's be clear that DNT does not stop tracking and collection. It
stops tracking and collection by 3rd parties. I fear users will not
understand this, especially if DNT is on by default. They won't
understand the choice that's been made for them, and the impact of that
choice. I worry users will be mislead with respect to the extent that
DNT changes the amount of data collected. Take Mozilla's survey, for
example, " The survey showed that 49% of users surveyed believe their
privacy is respected more when Do Not Track is enabled, as opposed to
only 12% who feel that way without the setting." Given that DNT is
barely implemented and has no standardized meaning, that's half of users
that believe they're protected when they are not. This is one reason it
MUST be an affirmative, informed choice by users.

-David