Re: QUESTION FOR BROWSERS who have partial DNT implementations today - plans to fully implement? (i.e. DNT:0)

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I appreciate that you don't comment on future product plans, but I guess that Microsoft does in fact comment on its product releases (ref your Chief Privacy Officer's blog on DNT in IE10: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2012/05/31/advancing-consumer-trust-and-privacy-internet-explorer-in-windows-8.aspx).

So I'll re-phrase my question for you, and all browser companies on this forum who have partial DNT implementations today, so that my question is not forward probing:

Q: Can you please explain why you have only partially implemented the W3C's do-not-track specification, choosing not to support a key component of the spec-- the third state of "DNT:0"-- while choosing to limit your support for the spec to send only "DNT:1"?

Context:  DNT:0 has been part of the W3C specification for some time, and yet it is distinctly missing from all current browser implementations.  As publishers and ad-networks come up to speed on if or how they might support the DNT signal mechanism, they read the W3C draft spec and wonder why it's only been partially implemented by the browser companies who have implemented DNT at all?  Seems like a very good question to me...

At the IAB, we are attempting to help publishers and ad-networks sort out understand this unique and complicated development in the ecosystem, so this is an opportunity for you browser makers to present and justify your case.

Thank You Kindly,

Chris Mejia, IAB