From: "Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)" <ifette@google.com<mailto:ifette@google.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:36 AM
To: "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org> Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Subject: ACTION-201 (ISSUE-112)

"How are sub-domains handled for site-specific exceptions?" - from a browser standpoint, I don't wish to further propagate the notion of "registry controlled domains" which is an unfortunate reality that we currently have with cookies, where browsers try to keep a list of what is a "public suffix" (contains multiple unrelated entities beneath it, such as .com). We have ~6,800 entries in there so far (http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/netwerk/dns/effective_tld_names.dat?raw=1) - this is only getting worse now that ICANN has, in a rather questionable move (personal opinion), decided to make the top-level domain namespace a wild west.

So, I don't want to say "all subdomains" because we have no idea what that means.

Rather, I would prefer to say "A site can request a site-wide exception for its own origin and any other origins that it considers to also be in the same party, e.g. http://www.example.com could request a site-wide exception for http://www.example.com, https://www.example.com, https://example.com, https://mail.example.com, https://www.example.de, http://www.example.de"

Sadly, I fear this is going to become nightmarish as sites add and delete origins over time ("Hey, now we're http://search.google!" or "Hey, we just launched example.az<http://example.az>" or "newproduct.example.com<http://newproduct.example.com>"). That said, I've got nothing better to offer...

-Ian