Re: ISSUE-116: How can we build a JS DOM property which doesn't allow inline JS to receive mixed signals?

Be gentle, I'm new here :) Comments are specific to the mechanics of
exposing the DTN response header value to the page content/scripts:

Generally very little of the http header response fields are exposed via
JS and the few which are seem to be hung from the document object. For
example, document.modified showing the Last-Modified field or
document.location exposing the Location field. All others are locked
away in the header even though it might be quite useful for Javascript
to be able to pull the Content-Language or Age. How the few fields which
are exposed were chosen is a mystery to me but they might give some
illumination as to how, or whether, another header value should be
exposed as a read-only JS value.

In the wild, the remaining headers gets exposed in one of two ways.
Either the server-side script injects header values into the document
content in some non-standardized format (such as a snippet of JS or
microformatted CSS classes added to tags) or the client-side JS does a
second Ajax header request to the URL of the page it is on so it can
then examine the response object's header contents. The former method
has limitations because it is the wild wild west for exactly how the
header values are exposed. The latter not only requires a second fetch
but has possible erroneous data due to reading headers of a separate
request, which usually, but not always, will be identical to the actual
page.

If we want to eliminate both home grown solutions (and the baggage they
bring) it makes the most sense to expose a new javascript var which
simply states what is contained in the response header. The surrounding
circumstances and ramifications of which are probably already handled by
the business rules encoded into other embedded data and scripts. In
other words, I suggest following the existing response header pattern by
using document.dnt to expose exactly what is in the header for that
document when it came back from being processed by the server.

Chris Blouch
AOL