Re: Frequency Capping

On Jul 12, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Tamir Israel wrote:

> On 7/12/2012 3:12 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Yes, and it has been rejected many times because the ID cookies are
>> used by other features that won't be turned off by DNT.
>
> Not so. I have never interacted and have no relationship with third party server X.

Regardless of Shane's first-party perspective, your browser sent
an HTTP request to the third party server. That is interacting with it.

> Why does it need to be able to identify me in any way?

Some clients don't interact in a friendly way.  It requires effort
for a service to separate bad clients from good clients.  Cookies
are one of the main ways to reduce that effort (and not just in the
obvious way of identifying a specific UA, which is easy to forge).

ID cookies are not a significant privacy concern if data retention
is constrained in the ways already outlined for frequency capping.

....Roy