From: Peter Eckersley <peter.eckersley@gmail.com<mailto:peter.eckersley@gmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:53:01 -0700
To: Chris Mejia - IAB <chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net>>
Cc: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu<mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu>>, Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca<mailto:tisrael@cippic.ca>>, "Grimmelmann, James" <James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu<mailto:James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu>>, W3C DNT Working Group Mailing List <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>, Mike Zaneis - IAB <mike@iab.net<mailto:mike@iab.net>>, Brendan Riordan-Butterworth - IAB <brendan@iab.net<mailto:brendan@iab.net>>
Subject: Re: Frequency Capping

On 11 July 2012 18:42, Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net>> wrote:

>From privacy groups' perspective, there cannot be a Do Not Track standard that allows unique IDs for frequency capping of non-consenting users.

Why not?  What's your justification?  Please cite real examples of how f-capping has negatively affected any consumer's privacy.  Do you have research to share?

Our reasons for insisting that unique ID cookies must never be used under a Do Not Track standard have been discussed many times on this list and in F2Fs.  There are many, but the deepest is that unique IDs (whether for f-capping or any other purpose) make it impossible to remotely test compliance with the standard.  And yes, in previous posts I shared some Panopticlick data on why the situation is somewhat better once the unique IDs are gone.

--
Peter