Re: tracking-ISSUE-150: DNT conflicts from multiple user agents [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

Hi Rigo,

OK, this takes care of issues raised with respect to the internal
consistency of the spec, I agree. But I think it still leaves open some
issues regarding how this will actually play out.

I've already raised my concerns regarding how this would work in an
opt-out consent world. There is simply no longer any basis for consent
to track.

Even in a pure contract law context, if the user sends a DNT-1 and a
server sends back 'we refuse to acknowledge this DNT-1', maybe this
means that there is no 'user expression of a preference not to be
tracked' but at the same time, I think it would fail the minimal to
provide even the minimal 'notice' required under the notice/consent
model, since it leaves no consensus on the tracking term of whatever
contract you are relying on for notice. Typically (and this is most
developed in scenarios where standard form contracts are exchanged that
have 1-2 conflicting terms), conflicting terms cancel /each other/ out.
This would mean there is no longer any 'notice' to the user she is being
tracked. This makes sense to me, since it is reasonable to believe that
any user sending a DNT-1 (whether by default or otherwise) would presume
they are not being tracked.

At the end of the day, I still think it is sub-optimal to design a spec
that allows people to ignore facially valid signals while claiming
compliance. There's a number of ways you can remedy this. The obvious is
to retain the 'MUST NOT turn DNT on by default' prescription but define
'compliant' as respecting facially valid signals. Another is to require
UAs to elicit a user preference with respect to DNT at the outset. Yet
another: if there is a conflict between server/UA, a mechanism can be
incorporated to prompt the user to verify their preference. Will try and
think of other possibilities....

Best,
Tamir