Re: Exemptions and Exceptions…?

The terminology I'd seen used more or less consistently until the introduction of the opt-back-in API was:

Exception - A set of business practices that the standard allows despite its general prohibition on collection, retention, and use.

Exemption - The user explicitly consents to overriding the standard.