Re: meaning of DNT 1 and DNT 0 when sent by user agents [ISSUE-78]

Hi Rigo,

It is disappointing to hear this sort of bad faith expressed at this point
in the process. it doesn't bode especially well for the success of our
Brussels meeting if we cannot collectively acknowledge that, while
differing opinions may be expressed on these email chains, everyone on this
committee is trying in good faith, through their diverse perspectives, to
come up with a standard that is both good for users and implementable by
the businesses they encounter on the web.

A review of the email chains and notes from previous in-person meetings
over the past months will show that I among others have explicitly called
out the need to disallow first parties from sharing data "on the backend"
with third parties. I have been calling this out consistently throughout
this process, and I'm glad that you're now joining me to speak up on the
same topic.

In fact, that is the very reason why I think cross-site tracking is a
better paradigm than the imperfect proxy of first vs third partyness. While
I'm open to sticking with 1st vs 3rd if that's how the consensus emerges,
cross-site tracking and/or data sharing is a more elegant, less potentially
loophole-intensive way to ensure that even the first parties that you
interact with are not allowed to share data with third parties after the
event has taken place.

For the record, and speaking for myself, where I raise objections to
language proposed by others in the group, it is not out of a desire to find
loopholes or somehow defile the spirit of the committee's work;  it's
typically because of a concern that a given set of proposed language is
either non-implementable, or a vague, moving target that provides no clear
guidance to either companies attempting compliance or regulators seeking to
measure that compliance.

I've interpreted my role as a co-editor as being someone who is enabling of
group consensus, not controlling of the process. In that spirit I commit to
listening to my counterparts in Brussels with an open mind and working to
come up with a standard that is good for users and implementable by
companies. I trust that you, and the rest of the committee as well, will do
the same.

sean

--
Sean Harvey